Saturday, May 19, 2007

Could I possibly feel any cooler?


I tried snowmobiling for the first time last year. That's me, driving. The only reason I know it's me is because of my iridium blue lenses on my ski goggles. Yeah, it was as cold as it looks. Oh, and I paid to be there. Narnia on $300 a day. But despite the Donner Party atmosphere, it was a ton of fun. There were some kinda weird moments, like when we were told that you had to do a sort of knee drag/weight transfer when you needed to make a sharp turn, but if you started to tip over, you shouldn't stick your leg out to brace your fall, or the snowmobile will snap it in two. Ummm... run that by me again?

And then there was the time I came around a bend (there were alot of bends) and saw that one of the guides had wiped out and buried their "sled". (They all insist on calling this thing a sled, which is ridiculous because that's like saying that "Rosebud" weighed 700 pounds)

There was also the moment when I realized that the throttle lever was so hot, it was nearly burning a hole in my leather gloves. I thought it must be some mechanical problem that was making it heat up so much. I couldn't even bear to touch it for very long. Which, of course, makes the "mobile" part of 'snowmobile" kinda tough to manifest. I kept trying to press it with different parts of my hand, seeing if I could get comfortable. No go. Finally, I got a chance to point this out to one of the guides. She said, "Oh, yeah, your handlebar heater is turned up too high".

Handlebar heater???

Yeah, no sh** Sherlock. I looked down at the toggle switch she was now clicking down a notch. Sure enough, there were 5 settings:

"Barely noticable"

"Lukewarm"

"Nice and Toasty"

"Frostbite Fighter"

and the setting I had it on, "Glove Melter"

That's my 14-year old nephew on the back. He wasn't having nearly as much fun as I was. He and his brother had, despite my repeated warnings, engaged in a spiritied snowball fight earlier. So now, he was wet and cold. Very cold. He had the iridium blue lips by the time we were done.

So I highly recommend this as a fun thing to do. It's like riding a motorcycle. Only without the oncoming traffic.

No comments: