Friday, May 18, 2007

Does anyone actually ever USE the hood?


Every now and then, I buy clothes. And I've noticed something really odd. Everything has a hood on it now. I can totally understand why a jacket would have a hood. This is not about heavy outerwear for cold weather, so don't even go there. And I understand why Rocky Balboa had to jog with his on. But I am flummoxed as to why 90% of t-shirts, sweatshirts, zip-ups, warm-ups, even TANK TOPS have hoods on them now. Oh, and I swear to G-d, I saw a hoodie pajama set the other day. What the hell? As if the Unabomber police sketch didn't put enough stigma on the whole idea, I just have to ask, Does anyone out there actually WEAR the hood on the shirts they own with hoods? We're wasting a lot of fabric, people. We're wasting a lot of cotton and stitching time that could be used to give factory workers a break now and then. Now, the pocket I can respect. The pocket needs to be on things we wear. That's an add-on the benefits of which just can't be disputed. The belt loop is another appendage that justifies itself. And what's with the need to nickname things with hoods, "Hoodies"? Do fashion merchandisers think we wouldn't notice the hood unless the thing it's attached to is called a hoodie? What, are we idiots? No one had to call Levi 501's "Pocketies". Of course we're not idiots. But a hood on a t-shirt is idiotic. It just is.

No comments: